Spill Response, Sediment Control and Water Treatment for Municipalities
Protecting and serving citizens is the priority of municipalities of all sizes.
Federal, state and local regulations governing sewer systems, wastewater treatment plants, storm water runoff and water quality must be closely followed to ensure municipal health and safety.
ABASCO designs, develops and delivers high-performing, long-lasting floating turbidity curtains, floating water baffles, barriers, booms and skimmers ideal for municipalities of all sizes to contain trash, debris and other contaminants in rivers, lakes, reservoirs, wastewater areas and retention ponds.
ABASCO’s durable, reliable products help municipalities manage their water systems, comply with the most stringent regulations, and keep cities, villages, counties and states clean and safe.
Providing the Product You Need
ABASCO’s durable, reliable floating turbidity curtains and floating barriers are expertly engineered, skillfully constructed and rigidly tested to efficiently and effectively help keep your municipal waterways clean and safe.
Turbidity curtains contain sediment and silt stirred up by construction activities in or near bodies of water.
ABASCO’s turbidity curtains have a series of continuous flotation elements along its top and a fabric skirt hanging below the floats. The skirt is typically long enough to be within one foot of the bottom and can be used to contain various turbidity.
ABASCO’s turbidity curtains usually come in lengths of 25, 50 or 100 feet. Those sections are combined into one continuous protective barrier.
ABASCO manufactures three types of turbidity curtains, for use depending on applications and environmental variables.
Type 1 turbidity curtains, also referred to as type 1 silt curtains, are floating barriers that control sediment or runoff in calm waters:
- Small Ponds
- Calm water lakes
- Construction sites
- Protected inland areas
Use ABASCO’s Type 1 economy turbidity curtains in protected waters where the effects of wind, waves, and current are minimal:
- Use in water between 2 and 20 feet deep
- Made of high-quality PVC-coated polyester fabric
- Bottom tension member
- Marine-grade flotation
ABASCO’s Type 2 turbidity curtains contain silt and turbidity in moving water. Use Type 2 turbidity curtains in areas with mild current, wind, and wave activity:
- Slow-moving rivers
- Inter-coastal areas
- Tidal areas
Type 2 turbidity curtains are long-lasting and high-performing:
- Made of high strength fabric
- Heavy duty tension members
- Aluminum stress plates cornering bottom skirt
ABASCO also offers a Type 2 medium duty version includes heavy duty tension members at the top and bottom of the curtain, and manufactured of high-quality 18 oz. PVC laminated fabric.
ABASCO Type 3 turbidity curtains combine high-strength fabric with several other features for use in areas with moderate current, wind and wave activity:
- Open water exposed to wind and waves
ABASCO’s Type 3 heavy duty turbidity curtains:
- Tension members above and below flotation and bottom of curtain
- Reinforced fabric
- Stress plates at bottom skirt corners
- Use in water between 3 and 130 feet
- Made of 22 oz. PVC-coated polyester
Floating baffles are perfect for increasing hydraulic retention time (HTR) in municipal wastewater treating ponds and reservoirs.
ABASCO’s durable, reliable water baffles help control water flow and circulation, eliminating dead zones, saving time and money, and improving treatment efficiency.
ABASCO’s water baffles:
- Heavy duty tension members at top and bottom of curtain
- Resistant to UV, chemicals, acids, bases
- Constructed of strong Elvaloy coated fabric
Floating barriers keep floating debris, trash, logs, timber, sargassum, seaweed and invasive plant species out of municipal waterways, storm water areas and coastal regions.
ABASCO’s floating debris barriers have a proven robust design that is intended for extended service life with limited maintenance.
ABASCO manufactures an array of booms ideal for containing and controlling trash and debris in municipal waterways.
ABASCO’s booms have impressive tensile and deep drafts to help catch small floating fragments like garbage, plastic, debris, leaves, plants or wood chips in the water.
Skimmers are mechanical devices used to collect oil from the surface of the water and keep it from tainting shorelines and harming wildlife.
ABASCO’s skimmers remove crude, refined, animal, or vegetable oils from surface waters, and can be used for a wide variety of environmental uses.
- Easy to use
- Models powered by diesel hydraulic, electric-hydraulic, or pneumatic
Delivering the Service You Deserve
For almost a half century, ABASCO has delivered high-performing, long-lasting products to clean up spills, contain sediment, control wastewater and maintain water quality in even the most challenging areas.
ABASCO’s durable, reliable products for used in a wide variety industries including major oil and gas firms, power companies, marine operations, oil spill contractors, the Navy and Coast Guard, railroads, transportation firms, mining and municipal waste water treatment plants.
ABASCO has the experience, expertise and equipment to supply the turbidity curtains, containment booms, skimmers, baffles and barriers you need for all your exacting and demanding water control applications.
- Operating since 1975
- Diverse product line serves a wide variety of industries
- Equipment distributed around the globe
- 30,000 square foot headquarters/manufacturing plant
- ISO 9001:2000 compliant
- Products stocked and ready for immediate shipment for emergencies
- Easy access to international airport and major ports
- Durable, reliable products designed to meet market needs
- Dedicated, professional staff
- Can customize products for unique applications
- Products meet all ASTM and OPA 90 standards
- Established network of consultants and sub-contractors provide specialized training
- Active member of international groups monitoring oil spills, sediment control and wastewater
- Can activate additional personnel if needed