Invasive Plant, Floating Debris and Sediment Containment for Tourism
A clean beach is a happy beach.
Invasive marine plants, jellyfish, seaweed, sargassum, trash and other debris can ruin the party.
Keeping beaches, waterfront resorts, hotels and cruise line terminals clean, safe and beautiful is essential for success in the tourism trade.
ABASCO designs, develops and delivers high-performing, long-lasting aquatic barriers, aquatic booms, debris barriers and floating turbidity curtains ideal for use in all sectors of the tourism industry:
- Cruise line terminals
- Boat docks
ABASCO’s containment products are expertly engineered, skillfully crafted and rigidly tested to meet your exacting specifications and keep your customers happy.
Shutting out the Sargassum
For the tourism industry, sargassum - seaweed - is a growing problem.
Sargassum has been invading the tropics at record rates, making it nearly impossible to keep beaches clear and clean.
As the amount - and odor - of decomposing seaweed on beaches increases, so could booking cancellations. That drastically impacts resorts, businesses and communities dependent on tourism.
Consider the following when deciding on the best sargassum/seaweed deflection barrier design and anchoring option for your specific application:
- Maximum wind speeds
- Maximum sea currents
- Maximum wave/swell heights also if rolling or breaking
- Will the perimeter layout have good deflection angles and will it be secured at shoreline
- Sea bottom conditions either sandy or hard bottom for anchoring
- Will coral beds be close to the barrier perimeter or anchoring
- Any boat traffic or wakes impacting the perimeter area
- Any special regulatory or permit requirements
Providing the Product You Need
ABASCO manufactures high-performing, long-lasting aquatic barriers, aquatic booms, debris barriers and floating turbidity curtains to keep your beach, park, marina or resort beautiful, clean and appealing to your customers.
Floating barriers protect lakes, beaches and hotels along the shoreline by controlling the impact of seaweed, sargassum, algae, and other invasive marine plants.
ABASCO’s aquatic barriers can either be used either seasonally or longer. The barriers are designed and developed to deflect or redirect aquatic plants or debris from shoreline areas.
ABASCO manufactures several different types of aquatic barriers ideal for the tourism industry:
- AB-30 - Light Aquatic Barrier: Handles light buildups of floating seaweed in relatively calm environments
- AB-60 - Beach Protector: Designed for heavier buildups of floating seaweed and sargassum in more active environments with higher wind, current and wave activity.
- AB-75 - HD Beach Barrier: Can handle heavy loads of floating aquatic plant debris in the most challenging and demanding environmental conditions.
ABASCO’s aquatic plant barriers allow water to move through curtain mesh and prevents sargassum or seaweed accumulating along shorelines.
ABASCO’s aquatic plant barriers:
- Deflect vegetation where installed
- Offer long-term or seasonal protection from buildup
- Do not trap animals or cause serious injury or death
- Safe for surrounding environment
- Available in five high-quality models
- Heights range from 15 inches to 75 inches
These barriers catch and contain objects such as floating trash, plastics, sargassum, seaweed and invasive plants. ABASCO’s debris and trash barriers have a proven, robust design to provide high performance over an extended time with limited maintenance.
Turbidity curtains controls sediment and silt stirred up by construction activities taking place in or near water. Use ABASCO’s turbidity curtains to keep your beach and resort area free from sediment and silt while completing construction projects near the water.
ABASCO’s turbidity curtains have a series of continuous flotation elements along its top and a fabric skirt hanging below the floats. The skirt is typically long enough to be within one foot of the bottom and can be used to contain various turbidity.
Turbidity curtains are usually made in lengths of 25, 50 or 100 feet, and those sections are joined to make one continuous containment barrier that encloses a worksite.
ABASCO manufactures three different types of turbidity curtains depending on the use.
Type 1 turbidity curtains, also referred to as type 1 silt curtains, are floating barriers that control sediment or runoff in calm waters:
- Small Ponds
- Calm water lakes
Use ABASCO’s Type 1 economy turbidity curtains in protected waters where the effects of wind, waves, and current are minimal. Type 1 economy turbidity curtains:
- Use in water between 2 and 20 feet deep
- Made of high-quality PVC-coated polyester fabric
- Bottom tension member
- Marine-grade flotation
ABASCO’s Type 2 turbidity curtains contain silt and turbidity in moving water. Use Type 2 turbidity curtains while dredging in areas with mild current, wind, and wave activity:
- Slow-moving rivers
- Inter-coastal areas
- Tidal areas
Type 2 turbidity curtains are long-lasting and high-performing:
- Made of high strength fabric
- Heavy duty tension members
- Aluminum stress plates cornering bottom skirt
ABASCO also offers a Type 2 medium duty version includes heavy duty tension members at the top and bottom of the curtain, and manufactured of high-quality 18 oz. PVC laminated fabric.
ABASCO Type 3 turbidity curtains combine high-strength fabric with several other features for use in areas with moderate current, wind and wave activity:
- Open water exposed to wind and waves
ABASCO’s Type 3 heavy duty turbidity curtains:
- Tension members above and below flotation and bottom of curtain
- Reinforced fabric
- Stress plates at bottom skirt corners
- Use in water between 3 and 130 feet
- Made of 22 oz. PVC-coated polyester
Delivering the Service You Deserve
For almost a half century, ABASCO has delivered high-performing, long-lasting products to clean up spills, contain sediment, control wastewater and maintain water quality in even the most challenging areas.
ABASCO’s durable, reliable products are used in a wide variety industries including major oil and gas firms, power companies, marine operations, oil spill contractors, the Navy and Coast Guard, railroads, transportation firms, mining and municipal waste water treatment plants.
ABASCO has the experience, expertise and equipment to supply the turbidity curtains, containment booms, skimmers, baffles and barriers you need for all your exacting and demanding water control and containment applications.
- Operating since 1975
- Diverse product line serves a wide variety of industries
- Equipment distributed around the globe
- 30,000 square foot headquarters/manufacturing plant
- ISO 9001:2000 compliant
- Products stocked and ready for immediate shipment for emergencies
- Easy access to international airport and major ports
- Durable, reliable products designed to meet market needs
- Dedicated, professional staff
- Can customize products for unique applications
- Products meet all ASTM and OPA 90 standards
- Established network of consultants and sub-contractors provide specialized training
- Active member of international groups monitoring oil spills, sediment control and wastewater
- Can activate additional personnel if needed